Sheffield School of Medicine was founded in 1828, subsequently merging with Firth College (1879), forerunner of the University, and Sheffield Technical School (1884) to form University College Sheffield in 1897. The University of Sheffield was granted a Royal Charter in May 1905. The Medical School today is home to more than one thousand students at undergraduate and postgraduate levels. Our aim is to provide high quality, innovative teaching and research to ensure tomorrow's doctors are best equipped to tackle disease.
The School's activities incorporate teaching, research and the practice of medicine. Our courses expose medical students to best current practice, through learning with the excellent Primary and Secondary care providers in the region.
Equally important is the research we engage in to contribute to developing the medicine of tomorrow. In the 2008 Research Assessment Exercise, we submitted to 6 Units of Assessment. Overall, 90% of our research was assessed as internationally recognised with 60% of research in UoAs 2 and 4 being rated world-leading or internationally excellent. We increased substantially the number of staff submitted and our research power ranks us 11th out of the 20 Russell Group Medical Schools.